"Fort Vancouver National Site"
Located in The Center of the City

This is The McLoughlin House

Fort Vancouver National Site is located in Vancouver, Washington just north of Portland Oregon. The main unit of the site, containing Fort Vancouver, was originally an important 19th century fur trading outpost that was established in 1824 by the British Hudson's Bay Company, under the command of chief factor John McLoughlin. It was the center of activity on the Pacific coast.

Today, a full-scale replica of the fort, with internal buildings, has been constructed and is open to the public as Fort Vancouver National Site.

One of the most popular spots is Fort Vancouver/Officers Row. It is the only entire row of officer's preserved historic homes in the nation. Officers Row is a beautiful setting filled with twenty-two fully-restored nineteenth century homes situated on twenty-one acres just north of the Vancouver Barracks Parade Grounds.

Today: Officers Row is a delightful environment in which to live and work. Interesting to lease, call: Fort Vancouver National Trust at 360.992.1800

TheGeorge C. Marshall House

The George C. Marshall is named for its most famous occupant, George C. Marshall. The Marshall family lived in the house from 1936 to 1938, when they hosted the unexpected crew of the Soviet Trans-Polar flight. President Roosevelt visited in the 1930’s. Marshall later became U.S. Army Chief of Staff during World War II, Secretary of State and Secretary of Defense. He authored the Marshall Plan, which helped rebuild the economies of Western Europe and the Pacific Nations after World War II. General Marshall was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1953 in recognition of these efforts.

Today, the Marshall House is decorated with antiques from the 1880s. It is open to the public and can be reserved for conferences, public ceremonies and social gatherings.

Howard House
This is General O.O. Howard House

The Howard House was the last historic structure to be rehabilitated on Officers Row. Anchoring the stately, tree-lined boulevard's western end, the home is named for its first inhabitant, Gen. Oliver Otis Howard (1830-1909). Recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor in the Civil War, Howard was the first head of the Freedman's Bureau, established in 1865 to aid former slaves.

Today The Howard House is the office of Fort Vancouver National Trust, and do provide information to drop-in visitors.

The Grant House the oldest building remaining at Vancouver Barracks. Ulysses S. Grant was stationed at Vancouver garrison in the 1850s as a quartermaster. He returned as a visitor to Vancouver Barracks in 1879 after serving two terms as President of the United States. The Grant House later served as an officers club for over a quarter century.

Today, the building is open to the public and houses The Restaurant at the Historic Reserve.


Visitor Center

Why stop Here First? If you have any questions, the National Park Service staff can answer them at that time. The Visitor Center is opened seven days a week from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Call (360) 816-6230 for more information or : Visit the Official Website


Individual or Family’s Tours

There's so much to see and do at the Fort Vancouver National Site's 366-acre campus. Take a self-guided tour of the multiple attractions, including historic Fort Vancouver, Pearson Air Museum, walking trails, Officers Row, and much more.


Guided and Group Tours

Groups of any size, small and large, from elementary school classes (both in Oregon and Washington),churches, retirement communities, conventions, reunions and the Red Hat Society are booking guided tours at Fort Vancouver National Site.


Retail Shops & Bookstores

Fort Vancouver National Trust operates two on-site retail shops. Both are full-service bookstores and are members of Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association.


From Fort Vancouver National Site to Retire to Vancouver, Washington

Return to Home